“Intro to Afrofuturism” summer camp program! This week-long camp is designed to provide students with an immersive experience that explores the world of Afrofuturism, a cultural movement that blends elements of science fiction, fantasy, technology and African history and culture. Throughout the program, students will participate in interactive workshops, discussions, and creative projects that examine the ways in which Afrofuturism has been used to imagine alternative futures and empower communities. The focus of the program will be on developing English writing skills in a fun and engaging way, while also learning about the fascinating and inspiring world of Afrofuturism.
- Some of the exciting activities that students can expect to participate in during the program include:
- Exploring the history of Afrofuturism, from its origins in literature and music to its modern-day impact on film, fashion, and art
- Learning about key figures in the Afrofuturist movement, such as Octavia Butler, Sun Ra, and Janelle Monae
- Analyzing and discussing Afrofuturist works, including films, books, and music videos
- Creating their own Afrofuturist-inspired artwork, such as posters, comic strips, or short stories
- Engaging in team-building exercises and group discussions that encourage critical thinking and collaboration
- By the end of the program, students will have gained a deeper understanding of Afrofuturism and its cultural significance, as well as improved their English language skills in a fun and engaging way.
We can’t wait to embark on this exciting journey with you!
|July 10 – July 21||10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Rising grades 8 – 10|
|July 31 – August 11||10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Rising grades 8 – 10|